Summer is in full swing, and with it comes perfect kayaking weather. Whether you enjoy kayak fishing or relaxing along one of the many rivers in the area, you will find your perfect adventure in the heart of nature in Wakulla County. We’ve put together some handy tips to make sure your next kayaking getaway is a success.
Where to Go
One of the hardest and most important decisions you will make on your kayak adventure is deciding where to go and what to do! We created a list of things for you to see and do in Wakulla County, so hopefully you can narrow down the selections down for the perfect memories.
- Go kayak fishing for trout and redfish along the local inshore flats, bays, and sand bars.
- Kayak down the Sopchoppy River 10-15 mile paddling trail, observing rich wildlife and tranquil scenery.
- Take a peaceful eco-tour up or down the St. Mark River, enjoying the natural beauty of Wakulla County.
- Travel down the scenic Wakulla River, fed by the world-famous Wakulla Springs and look for manatees.
- Spot for osprey, swallowtail kites, herons, and other wildlife while paddling one of the two loops in Ochlockonee River State Park.
- Enjoy the Lower Ochlockonee River paddling trail, a 62-mile trail winding through the Apalachicola National Forest.
Essentials for Kayaking
Whether you’re planning on renting equipment from one of the many establishments nearby, or if you brought your own gear, there are some important items to remember you bring along before you head out into the water.
- Life Jacket or other Personal Floatation Device (PFD)
- Kayak & Paddle
- Sprayskirt (Depending on the Type of Kayak)
- First Aid Kit
- Map or GPS
- Water Shoes or Sturdy Sandals
- Sunglasses & Hat
- Light, Quick-Drying Clothing
- Extra Clothes to Change Into
See You There! You deserve to relax and unwind in an environment with rich and tranquil nature. We hope to see you and your family out on one of our great rivers, enjoying the calm nature of our beautiful county. Don’t forget to check out our free visitor’s guide for other vacation ideas.